Wednesday, June 22, 2011

4 Books {Day 4 of 10}

Ummm... Okay!  I have been venturing in the wilderness for the past few days; so now it's time to play catch up...

Where were we??? Yes, books...

Four books. When I began to ponder on my favorite four books... I immediately thought of the four that I know have shaped my life forever.

For my spiritual life; nothing has impacted my it like this Daily Reading Bible by Max Lucado.  Several years ago I set a personal goal to read the bible in a year.  I had made several attempts with my church family; but I was never successful... That is until one of my coworkers blessed me with this daily reading bible!!!! Not only have I accomplished my goal of reading the entire bible in a year.... I have read the bible in its entirety three times and each time/each day I read it;  I get new revelation! Reading the bible has become an integral part of my daily regime;  it is a wealth of knowledge and my source of strength.


For my professional life---Brand Me. Make Your Mark: Turn Passion into Profit by Melissa Dawn Johnson just did it for me.  After reading this book I finally got it! Oprah is the queen of branding yourself and this girlie is the princess!  I mean...I could not believe that take-a-aways that I gained from the short read.  Here is an Amazon Editorial that really sums this book up:  "In this compelling book she shares the 7-Step Brand Me Blue Print T designed to offer a personalized action plan to turn your passion into profit. Her practical insight and personal passion enable anyone to apply these power points of branding in any situation. Make Your Mark: Turn Passion into Profit is more than a book, it is a movement that is sweeping the world. You are the product the world has been waiting for. Now is the time to market your success."


For my personal life I chose a book from one of my favorite authors, Maya Angelou.  I would love to sit in here class and hear her lecture just one day... that lady is full of so much wisdom.  I read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings as a very young child and unfortunately I could identify with EVERYTHING that she shared.  It was a coming of age story that served as a motivational tool for me.  After everything that I had endured after reading this book...I felt as though a had a reason to sing.  God had given me a life, a purpose and a destiny and one day I would be free to fulfill it.  I never allowed {the cage} take away my song... I only allowed its bars to carry my melody. 


And finally, for my emotional life I choose a collection of books by Javan.  I was introduced to these books by an old college friend.  I remember feeling the textured cardstock and thumbing through the pages like a pupil seeking an answer for an open book test.  I did not put those books down until I had completed the entire collection.  I loved them so much that since then I have purchased two copies of this collection.  This reviewer from Amazon said it best; Javan's books are not literary poetry. They are short reflections on our relationships with ourselves, others, and the world we live in. They are not only beautiful and easy to understand, but as indicated by several hundred people who have signed the guestbook on Javan's website they are especially helpful when things are going bad. I tell you...whenever I am going through a tough time this collection paired with a hot bath and a glass of cold Welch's white grape juice does just the trick :)!

{This is only one of the four books.  The others are entitled, "Meet Me Halfway," "A Heart Full of Love" and Footprints in Mind."}

So....there you have it....

4 God
4 Motivation
4 Reflection
4 Love
4 Books

Until next time,

M'Shonta

No comments: